Monday, November 22, 2010

Joey Votto Wins 2010 NL MVP Award

Filed under: , , ,

Joey VottoReds first baseman Joey Votto was named the 2010 National League MVP by the Baseball Writers' Association of America Monday, halting Albert Pujols' run of National League MVP awards.

Votto was nearly a unanimous choice by the voters, receiving 31 of a possible 32 first-place votes and outpacing Pujols by a margin of 443 points to 279.

"Not to be dramatic or anything, but after I was told I won I couldn't help but cry because I knew how much something like this meant to me and would have meant to my father," Votto told reporters during a conference call.

Votto's father died in 2008, and the grief from his passing eventually contributed to a breakdown that sidelined him for a big chunk of the 2009 season.

"It's an individual award, but it's such a great accomplishment. It's the pinnacle of all the awards. It's a great a moment."

 

Permalink | Email this | Linking Blogs | Comments

Source: http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2010/11/22/joey-votto-wins-2010-nl-mvp-award/

Jeff Overton Jim Furyk Joe Cole John Isner John Terry

No comments:

Post a Comment