Monday, July 25, 2011

Worrying Times for Olympic Medal Prospect Gemma Spofforth

Filed under: ,

Gemma SpofforthGemma Spofforth ought to be on top of the world with the London Olympics just 12 months away.

Spofforth is the defending world 100m backstroke champion and world record holder and is one of Britain's best hopes of a gold medal in the pool next summer.

But after coming close to quitting the sport earlier this year, the 23-year-old's lack of motivation is a cause of real concern after she went out in the first heat in the World Championhips in Shanghai after finishing 23rd overall.

"I've not eaten much as I've had a bit of food poisoning over the past couple of days. I felt weak and didn't have it," said Spofforth, who lost her mother in 2007 and, in March this year, her father's partner died of lung cancer.

"It's not just that, I've found this year very tough and I have to focus now on next year.

"I've found motivation a little bit tough. You reach a pinnacle like two years ago being World Champion and I just need to find where I go from here and find my motivation."

The positive news for the Shoreham-born swimmer, who has questioned the importance of swimming in her life, is that she still has time to rediscover her best form.

But she has knows her mental strength has to improve after conceding the title she won in Rome two years ago.

"I thought I'd be a bit more mentally tough than that," added Spofforth. "I didn't really have it in me. It just wasn't to be. I was thinking last night I'd got rid of everything in my stomach the night before so I thought I'd be at racing weight. It wasn't to be."

It has not been all been disappointing news for Britain in the pool.

Rebecca Adlington clinched silver in the 400m freestyle final after a strong finish. The double Olympic champion was seventh at the 100m stage but battled back to finish behind Italian Federica Pellegrini.

 

Permalink | Email this | Linking Blogs | Comments

Source: http://www.fanhouse.co.uk/2011/07/25/worrying-times-for-olympic-medal-prospect-gemma-spofforth/

Charley Hoffman Clarence Seedorf Cristiano Ronaldo Daniel Alves Daniele De Rossi

No comments:

Post a Comment