Sunday, July 31, 2011

Simon Dyson Wins Irish Open in Style As Yani Tseng Dominates at Carnoustie

Filed under:

Simon DysonSimon Dyson overcame Richard Green on the 72nd hole to win the Irish Open at Killarney and secure his fifth European Tour victory.

The Englishman, 33, who shot two rounds of 67 over the weekend and finished 15 under par for the week, came into the tournament on the back of a ninth place at the Open, his fifth top 10 finish of the season.

As the final round developed, and David Howell fell away, it became clear that it would be a straight battle between Dyson and Green.

Green led the way but his birdie on 16, after failing to make an eagle putt, was the only shot he picked up on the back nine, while Dyson surged with birdies on 16 and 17.

Level on the 72nd hole, Dyson almost birdied the last but a par was enough to pile the pressure on Green, whose birdie putt flew past the hole and he could not make the return putt to force a play-off.

Dyson admits that his performance at The Open gave him plenty of belief and is now set to fly to the Bridgestone Invitational after his win in Ireland earned him a place.

He told Sky Sports: "It just feels amazing. Ireland has always been one of my favourite places to come to but I've never really done any good in the tournaments so I've finally put that right.

"The golf I've played this week has probably been the best I've ever played. I've been working on some good things and I just brought it into here.

"I'd played three and three quarter near-perfect rounds and I knew I would give myself birdie chances.

"It's probably the best I've ever swung it. It's a shame you can't bottle how you feel sometimes because that is definitely one to keep.

"Finishing ninth in the British Open was the main aim because I played some really good golf and I knew that I could cut it with the guys in the majors as well as the big events.

"My main aim is to break back into the top 50 and carry it on from there."

Dyson and Green shared the lead with Howell, whose two over par pulled him out of contention, going into the final round, going into the final day.

Scot Stephen Gallacher holed a magnificent birdie putt on the last to take third place on his own and Austrian Bernd Wiesberger came fourth after fine closing round of 66.

Italian Lorenzo Gagli finished with a share of eighth place after a fine finishing round of 65.

Reigning champion Ross Fisher finished with a share of 17th after a final round of two over par, Graeme McDowell finished four under for the week with a share of 25th place, with Rory McIlroy a shot further back.

 

Permalink | Email this | Linking Blogs | Comments

Source: http://www.fanhouse.co.uk/2011/07/31/simon-dyson-wins-irish-open-in-style-as-yani-tseng-dominates-at/

Sergio Ramos

No comments:

Post a Comment