Friday, June 24, 2011

Wimbledon: Andy Murray Must Step Up His Game Against Ivan Ljubicic

Filed under: ,

Andy Murray, Tobias Kamke, round two, wimbledon, June 22, 2011It's been a case of so far so good for Andy Murray, yet the British No. 1 will have to crank it up a notch when he comes up against Croatia's Ivan Ljubicic in round three on Friday.

Ranked 33rd in the world, Ljubicic could count himself highly unfortunate to miss out on a SW19 seeding and the threat he poses was confirmed by his defeat of compatriot Marin Cilic, the 27th seed, in round one.

Murray's head-to-head record against 32-year-old Ljubicic, who defeated Sergiy Stakhovsky 6-4 6-4 6-2 to set up the clash, is hardly anything to shout about either - the pair are tied at 3-3 in their previous meetings although none of them have come on grass.


By his own admission, Murray will have to improve on his B- display against Tobias Kamke of Germany with the world No. 4 comfortably doing enough to win 6-3 6-3 7-5 without ever finding top gear.

He said: "I didn't think I played that well, but I didn't get broken. I served well, especially when I was behind in games. It was quite windy on the court, which made it tricky, and I thought he hit the ball very well from the back of the court.

"I could have returned a little bit better. But it was straight sets, so I've got to be pleased with that. But I've got to improve for the next match." "I served well. The rest is going to need some work. It was quite tricky with the wind and I'm glad to get through in straight sets. Ivan serves well. So I have to make sure I return well on Friday."

 

Permalink | Email this | Linking Blogs | Comments

Source: http://www.fanhouse.co.uk/2011/06/23/wimbledon-andy-murray-must-step-up-his-game-against-ivan-ljubic/

Sam Querrey Samir Nasri Samuel Eto’o Sergio Agüero Sergio Ramos

No comments:

Post a Comment