Saturday, June 25, 2011

BMW International Open: Sergio Garcia's Return to Form Continues

Filed under:

Sergio Garcia hit a superb eight-under-par round on the third day of the BMW International Open in Munich to put himself in contention going in to the final day as the Spaniard's rejuvenation continues.

But the former world No2 must still get the better of Englishman Mark Foster, whom he trails by two shots as he sits tied in second place with Robert Coles, Retief Goosen, George Coetzee and Pablo Larrazabal on 12 under par going in to what looks sure to be a thrilling final round.

Garcia, who had slumped outside of the world's top 80, finished a surprising seventh at last week's US Open and showed further proof with his birdie-laden third round that he has regained lost confidence as he looks to ensure qualification for the British Open.
A steady but unspectacular start left him in joint 30th spot after the first two rounds - a long way off the top-four finish he needs to qualify for next month's Open.

However, Garcia got off to a cracking start on the third day with seven birdies in the first 13 holes as he proved why Saturday is known as 'moving day' by hitting a 64 to go to 12 under par.

The Spaniard, who was once tipped to be the man that would topple Tiger Woods' domination over the world No1 spot when the American was in peak form, birdied the third and sixth before hitting four in a row beginning at eight, and a further three birdies followed at 13, 16 and 18.

Garcia only managed a solitary bogey which came on 17 - a small blip on what was an impressive showing from the 31-year-old.

He told Sky Sports: "I had long birdie putts at the start which I made. I played the back nine really well and I had a lot of great opportunities.

"Overall I think it was a great round and it was exactly what I needed to do. Hopefully I can have another one of those tomorrow.

"It's good to be in contention. I knew I needed something special for British Open purposes and it was good to play so well. "It feels like my game is coming along. My putting is getting better. I feel more comfortable and I think it's just a matter of keep going in the right direction."

But the Spaniard is going to have a lot of competition, not only to win but also to finish in the top four as there is a host of players in with a chance.

They will have to chase down Foster, however, and after the Englishman scored a superb 66 to go into the last day two shots ahead of the pack on 14 under par.

Foster said: "I just wanted to play my own game. I got off to a quick start and then hit a bit of a stumbling block but I got it going again so it was a pleasing day.

"I'm making the right decisions and if something is going wrong, I'm reacting in the right way. I will see what tomorrow brings."

 

Permalink | Email this | Linking Blogs | Comments

Source: http://www.fanhouse.co.uk/2011/06/25/bmw-international-open-sergio-garcias-return-to-form-continues/

Nikolay Davydenko Novak Djokovic Owen Hargreaves Paolo Maldini Patrick Vieira

No comments:

Post a Comment